Move over diamonds; coffee may actually be a girl’s best friend.
More than a steaming mug of I got this!, the health benefits of coffee for women include support for everything from PMS and migraine relief to enhanced fat burning, better mental health, longevity, and more.
But like an undiscovered latte artist on Instagram, coffee doesn’t always get the recognition it deserves. So we’re diving into the science to share the top:
7 Powerful, Brew-tiful Coffee Benefits for Women
A cup of coffee packs over a thousand natural chemicals and bioactive compounds.[*] These vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants are the main reasons habitual coffee intake is so good for you.
Let’s explore the research behind the effects of coffee on your overall wellness:
1. Coffee May Ease PMS
Cramps, mood swings, headaches, fatigue, bloating — the fun your monthly visitor brings never ends.[*] Nearly 50% of women suffer from premenstrual syndrome (PMS), and ~20% experience symptoms severe enough to disrupt normal activities.[*]
Good news? Your daily cup of Joe may keep PMS away and soothe your symptoms because it contains:
Plus, researchers in one study noticed that caffeine consumption was associated with shorter periods and shorter menstrual cycles.[*] Woo!
2. Coffee May Provide Migraine Relief
Women are two to three times more likely than men to have migraines.[*] Worse? Ladies report longer migraine attacks, higher risk of headache recurrence, greater disability, and longer recovery times.[*]
Many OTC headache relievers contain caffeine, which can cross the blood-brain barrier and work magic on cerebral blood vessels.[*]
So taking acetaminophen, aspirin, and caffeine together may be highly effective for migraine headache pain.[*] This combo also helps alleviate nausea, light and sound sensitivity, and functional disability associated with migraine attacks.[*]
⚡ Pro Tip: Try brewing a cup of black coffee when you feel a migraine coming on.
Sipping a small or large amount of coffee, based on the severity of your symptoms, allows you to control the caffeine content better. Then you may avoid the side effects of OTC headache relievers (jitters, nervousness, abdominal pain/discomfort, etc.).
3. Coffee May Lower Risks of Autoimmune Diseases
Your immune system is a double-edged sword — sometimes it’s a valiant protector, yet occasionally it becomes the misunderstood antihero.
Autoimmune diseases, or conditions in which the immune system confuses healthy tissue for harmful toxins, affect 8% of the population, 78% of whom are women.[*]
- Coffee drinkers have lower circulating levels of inflammatory markers that may contribute to autoimmune diseases.[*]
- Moderate coffee consumption may decrease the risk of multiple sclerosis.[*]
- Caffeine shows enormous potential for relaxing triggering activity and genes related to several autoimmune diseases, including lupus and rheumatoid arthritis.[*][*]
4. Coffee Supports Better Mental Health
Mental healthcare stats reveal that women are nearly twice as likely as men to be diagnosed with anxiety and depression. Ladies with one anxiety disorder are more likely than men to be diagnosed with an additional mental health condition.[*]
5. Coffee Packs Perks for Perimenopause
The caffeine in coffee adds more pep to your step, decreasing fatigue, enhancing mental performance, and combating many of those woes.[*] Then there are chlorogenic acids, a group of plant-based antioxidants found in coffee beans.[*]
When 82 women were given chlorogenic acid (CGA) supplements for four weeks, the number of hot flashes, the severity of hot flashes during sleep, and the severity of daytime sweats all decreased significantly.[*]
Those supplements? Only 270 milligrams of CGA. A cup of coffee may contain as much as 350 milligrams![*]
6. Coffee: The Perfect Wing-Woman for Your Fitness Goals
Coffee’s good for your brain and helps your workouts feel less like a chore.
- Increases feelings of “energy” while decreasing the sense of effort associated with physical activity.
- Boosts physical performance metrics like time-to-exhaustion, muscle strength, endurance, coordination, and high-intensity sprints.
- Increases basal metabolic rate (BMR) to torch more calories at rest, promote fat-burning, and spur weight loss.
So it’s no surprise that higher caffeine intake directly correlates with greater weight, BMI, and body fat mass reductions.[*]
💪 Pro Tip: Time your cup of coffee right before your sweat sesh. It takes about 20 to 60 minutes for caffeine’s effects to kick into high gear.[*]
7. Coffee May Be the Fountain of Youth
The average life expectancy for American women is 79 years (compared to 73.2 years for men).[*]
For ladies, the top five leading causes of meeting the Grim Reaper include heart disease, cancer, stroke, chronic lower respiratory disease (asthma, COPD, lung cancer, etc.), and Alzheimer’s disease.[*]
Drinking coffee may be the secret to preventing several of these public health crises.
The bioactive compounds in coffee, like antioxidants and polyphenols, block free radicals from forming and destroying your cells.[*][*] They’re also anti-inflammatory, so they can improve heart health, lower cholesterol, reduce cancer risks, and more.[*]
- Reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes[*]
- Contribute to reduced risks of cardiovascular disease, heart failure, and stroke[*][*][*]
- Lead to a lower risk of liver cancer, colorectal cancer, postmenopausal breast cancer, and other types of cancer[*][*]
- Prevent liver disease and cirrhosis[*]
- Decrease the risk of Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer’s, and dementia[*][*]
Plus, women over 65 who drink multiple cups of coffee experience a decreased risk of speech deterioration and a significantly lower rate of memory loss compared to women who consume just one cup of coffee daily or abstain.[*]
Say Hello To IQJOE: Instant Coffee For That Glow ✨
The less time and energy you spend making coffee, the more you get to focus on things you really care about. Waiting in line at a coffee shop or in the drive-thru? Definitely not on that list.
Instant coffee is like the fairy godmother of vitality. Add a packet to a cup of hot water, stir until dissolved, and feel all the fantastic benefits we shared today.
Instant coffee boasts the highest value of antioxidants compared to brewed coffee and espresso.[*][*] The antioxidants in instant coffee specifically protect your brain from key stress biomarkers too.[*]
IQJOE takes these brain health benefits to the next level. Each packet contains:
- Brazilian Coffee for a rich, tasty, aromatic brew.
- 750 mg Magtein®️ (Magnesium L-Threonate) to elevate your mood and cognitive performance (and keep PMS away).
- 250 mg 8X-Concentrated Lion's Mane Extract, an adaptogen that lowers stress, enhances productivity, and supports mental health.
- 200 mg Organic Caffeine from Green Coffee for long-lasting, crash-proof, jitter-free energy.
Each convenient, travel-ready packet is also keto, vegan, and non-GMO. You won’t find any artificial sweeteners, gluten, dairy, or soy in them either.
☕ Hang on, do you know why Lion’s Mane coffee is the ultimate brain-boosting brew? Because you definitely should.
From Healthy Brew To Brilliant You
Women face so many unique struggles on their path to holistic well-being. But coffee makes the journey much easier.
With health benefits that support your needs like a BFF, your daily coffee isn’t just a ritual but a valuable ally in your pursuit of wellness. So savor every sip and get ready to radiate from the inside out.
Written by Lauren Ciccarelli, a writer and research geek passionate about low-carb nutrition, mental health, and meditation. Her 2,500+ articles empower doers with science-backed tips for leveled-up living.