It’s game-on between the US and China, and we aren't talking about the 2024 Olympic trampoline event (should we be?).
According to a new report from the Special Competitive Studies Project (SCSP), Earth's superpowers are in an a high-stakes competition for tech domination. Eric Schmidt, former Google CEO and current SCSP chair, believes an "L" could devastate the US.
The fight will center on three key battlegrounds: microelectronics, 5G connectivity, and artificial intelligence (AI). China is outpacing the US in each, and if it takes control of the globe's major mineral and chip-making supply chains, the gap will widen massively.
"America's military will be crippled and we will plunge into a depression. Americans will be forced to live in a world where China can turn off the technology tap." Yikes.
So what's to be done? Schmidt implores the US to:
- Revise innovation policies to ensure private and public sectors collaborate.
- Revitalize domestic manufacturing.
- Develop national AI governance that allows this tech to be harnessed for good.
- Reform military and warfighting strategies.
- Combat China-led pushes to embed authoritarian ideas in global tech standards.
The US tech ecosystem evolved without reference to a geopolitics. Time for a change...